Monday, November 30, 2009

The Beauty of the Hydrangea

I was recently asked the question: what is your favorite flower? I began to ponder and realized that I could not name a clear favorite, as each flower has its own beauty and purpose. With this post and future related posts I plan to provide some background on a few of my favorite flowers as well as post some pictures of custom arrangements I have made for clients.

Native to Southern and Eastern Asia as well as North and South America, hydrangeas have been popular for centuries. Hydrangea plants produce flowers from early spring to late fall. They are unique in that they are one of the only plants that process aluminum, which is released from acidic soils and forms complexes in the flower giving them their bright color and making them so distinct, desirable and beautiful.

I try to use these versatile flowers whenever I can as they create wonderful arrangements on their own and can be used as filler flowers in larger arrangements. Check out a few of my custom floral arrangements in which I have incorporated hydrangeas:



No comments:

Post a Comment